Although a village, Somercotes has had a sporting history dating back well into the 1800s. Below are articles on some of the more common sports that were played in the village. Please also see other items in the Featured Articles section. Much of the history is not very well documented and is incomplete. If you have any details or photographs that may be of interest to us, please contact the Society.
This page contains the following articles:
1. FOOTBALL CLUBS
Over the years there has been many football clubs formed within the parish of Somercotes, but most are not well documented and their histories are vague. Much of the information available has been taken from local newspaper articles, but the details are far from complete.
One of the earliest references to a football club was published in the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald on 30 October 1880, which stated: “…The Ripley Cup competition is also in full swing. Ripley, Swanwick, Codnor and Somercotes being the respective teams engaged in the second contest for the silver cup. Ripley and Codnor were left in”. This article probably refers to SOMERCOTES UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB, which almost certainly would have been formed some years previous to 1880.
For some unknown reason, a meeting was held in 1895 to discuss the formation of another football club at which members and players of SOMERCOTES UNITED were present. This meeting was reported in the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald on 27 July 1895 and reads: “SOMERCOTES FOOTBALL CLUB - A well-attended meeting of footballers was held at the infant schoolroom on Wednesday evening under the presidency of the Rev. C R Dickenson, curate-in-charge, to discuss the advisability of forming a football club in connection with the Institute. Most members of the Somercotes club were present, and it was unanimously decided to organise a strong club for the locality, called “The Somercotes Institute Football Club”. Mr W Browning was elected secretary, and Mr T Williamson and Mr J Merriman were appointed to see Mr Armstrong with a view to securing a field. It was agreed to join the Derbyshire Minor League, and the following were selected as referees:- Messrs John Brown, William Browning, Jos. Mycroft, Isaac Ball and R Parsons. The meeting was adjourned until next Monday week, when election of officers will take place.” It appears that the SOMERCOTES INSTITUTE FOOTBALL CLUB was duly set up, but not without problems, as some members of SOMERCOTES UNITED continued with their club separately. The Institute referred to in the article would have been the one set up by Sir Charles Seely and established on Nottingham Road at the end of Seely Terrace. The issue was also referred to in a newspaper article in the Derby Daily Telegraph which was published on 5 September 1895, referring to a meeting of the Derbyshire Football Association Council. Part of the article reads: “The council next had to settle a somewhat curious question which has arisen at Somercotes. It appeared that Somercotes United had entered for the Minor League and Challenge Cup, but their members had, for the most part, formed a fresh club, which was called the Somercotes Institute Football Club, after the room in which the meetings were held. The latter claimed the right of playing the matches arranged by Somercotes United, but the latter club, which has not altogether disbanded, objected to this arrangement. The Council overcame the difficulty by recognising both clubs as independent organisations, and allowing the Institute Club to take over the Minor League fixtures arranged by Loscoe, who, through being left without a ground, had obliged to resign their connection with the League…”
PHOTO: Somercotes Football Club, 1899
In the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald dated 31 May 1903 an article regarding the Somercotes Football Club was published, which, it is believed, refers to SOMERCOTES UNITED. The report reads: “Last Saturday evening the players of the Somercotes Football Club, who secured the championship of the Mid-Derbyshire League last season, were presented with the medals by Mr Morgan Roberts of Derby, at a dinner”
The SOMERCOTES INSTITUTE FOOTBALL CLUB was still playing in 1928, when, as reported in the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald published on 1 December that year, they played in the Riddings and Somercotes Hospital Cup against the Codnor Park Works Welfare team. The match was reported at length in the newspaper, which the Codnor Park team won 3-1. The last reference in the newspapers to SOMERCOTES UNITED is in 1940, although the club would have no doubt continued after this date.
Perhaps the most well-known football club locally is SOMERCOTES ATHLETIC. This club has been in existence in one form or another for many years, and its name is first recorded in newspapers on 12 September 1913 when, according to the Belper News, SOMERCOTES ATHLETIC played Newton Rangers in Division 8 (the eventual score is not known). There are many references to the games they played in various leagues throughout the years. However, 1939 must have been one of the defining years in the clubs history. The Derby Daily Telegraph of 30 October reported that: “Somercotes Athletic will hold a meeting to decide on their future...”. This was followed by an item in the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald of 10 November the same year: “A request by the Erewash Valley League that Somercotes Athletic (now disbanded) should be suspended until they met financial obligations to the league was referred back for consideration.”
Whatever the problems the club suffered in 1939 it appears that these were overcome and SOMERCOTES ATHLETIC once again joined a local league. On 4 February 1944 the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald ran an article on local soldiers serving in the armed forces, which read in part: “…L/Corporal Radford Selby joined the RASC on Jan. 2nd 1940 … Before serving he was the goalkeeper for Somercotes Athletic…”. By 1946 the club was playing in the Ripley and District League. SOMERCOTES ATHLETIC still play today.
BIRCHWOOD UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB are known to have played during the early 1900s. The earliest date so far found is 1906, when it was reported in the Nottingham Journal published on 24 September that they played Somercotes. A photograph of the team from the 1915/1916 season can be found in the Photo Gallery. The last reference to them appears to be from 1928. The Derbyshire Advertiser & Journal published on 29 June 1928 reported that “Shirland Colliery Reserves and Wingfield Colliery Reserves had resigned from ‘Section B’. Notice of withdrawal from Heage Rangers and Birchwood United was received after the prescribed date”.
There were many local teams that played throughout the 20th century. They were often associated with factories and even public houses, playing in local Sunday leagues, but as many of the industries disappeared, so did the football clubs. The histories of these teams are very difficult to find, and most references can only be found in local newspapers or magazines.
PHOTO: Somercotes Athletic Football Club, 1956-57 Season
The Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald, published on 26 November 1932 records that the RIDDINGS IRONWORKS STAFF FOOTBALL CLUB played Riddings Athletic Club at Pye Bridge (the match would probably have taken place at the Riddings Ironworks sports ground at Lower Somercotes). The result was a resounding win for the Ironworks team, who won 5-0. A Riddings Ironworks team is known to have still been playing in the 1950s, and most likely carried on until the demise of the Ironworks in 1969.
One of the first references to PYE BRIDGE FOOTBALL CLUB is in a newspaper article from 7 April 1900. Published in the Derbyshire Times & Chesterfield Herald, the article refers to a Mr. C Lee, a foreman at the Riddings Ironworks who also had an interest in the Pye Bridge Football Club. A presentation to him took place as he was leaving the area. From this report it can be deduced that the football club had been in existence some time before 1900. A report in the Nottingham Evening Post on 24 February 1939 on the “Combination Cup” states:- “The Notts. Combination Cup offers some attractive games tomorrow, with the semi-final of the cup between PYE BRIDGE INSTITUTE and Westwood at Riddings heading the bill…” Unfortunately, the result of the match is not known.
PHOTO: Somercotes Ladies Football Club, undated [We do not have any information on the ladies Football Teams, but there may have been several in the early 1900's]
A list of some of the known teams is given below, but this is far from complete [a reference is given to the newspaper article that mentions the club, but this is NOT necessarily the earliest date]:
As well as village football clubs, many public houses and larger companies had their own clubs which played in the Sunday Leagues.
If you have any information or photographs of any local football teams, please let us know.
2. CRICKET CLUBS & CRICKETERS
Information on the cricket teams has mainly been derived from old newspaper articles. The main cricket team was sponsored by Charles Seely.
The Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties, published on 22 October 1852 reported that “The young men of Somercoates [sic] have, during the present season, formed themselves into a Cricket Club, and by steady practice have become so proficient in the game as to accept a challenge from the gentlemen of Heanor, to play a friendly home and away match. The first is expected to come off on Monday next at the Black Horse Inn, Somercoates.”
Cricket was considered to be a “gentleman’s” game, and many company owners would support local cricket teams. This was true of Somercotes. A report in the Derby Mercury dated 16 June 1858 refers to the establishment of the BIRCHWOOD AND COTES PARK CRICKET CLUB, which was funded through the generosity of Charles Seely, at the time the owner of New Birchwood (Shady) Colliery. The report, although fairly lengthy, is transcribed in part as follows: “An example of the highest commendation has been shown by the liberality of a gentleman occupying an exalted position is society – Chalres Seely Esq. of Brookhill Hall [on the Isle of Wight], on whose extensive works are employed a large number of the residents of the adjoining hamlets of Somercotes and Birchwood. Mr Seely being desirous to add to the enjoyment of those who laboured for him, and with the intention of doing away, as far as possible, with the baneful effects of attending public houses and the accumulating evils of such practices, most generously granted a piece of ground for the purpose of being a cricket ground, and a playground also, more particularly for the men employed on the works, and their children. The cricket club, with Mr Seely as president, and Mr Thomas Langham vice-president and in the committee, as been organised after the manner of the Marylebone Club, and a code of rules and regulations adopted calculated to meet the interests of all and definitely to supress profane swearing, and appreciate morality in all its bearings. On Monday evening, May 31st an inauguration supper of the BIRCHWOOD AND COATES PARK CRICKET CLUB took place at the Royal Tiger Hotel, Somercotes. Thomas Langham Esq. vice-president was unanimously voted chairman, and Dr Belcher, of Somercotes, vice. [chairman], and other sat down to supper, which consisted of some substantial joints and delicacies, which were done ample justice to be the numerous assembly who unanimously voted a return of thanks to Mr and Mrs Rhodes, the worthy host and hostess, for the admirable manner in which they been provided for. The cloth being removed, the chairman, in an elegant and most loyal speech proposed “The health of her Majesty the Queen” which was unanimously responded to; “The Prince Consort and Royal Family” met with a similar response. The vice-chairman, Dr Belcher rose to propose the toast of the evening, that of Charles Seely Esq the founder of the club; he said that the gentleman was respected and beloved by all of them…” The correspondent continued his report regarding the inauguration supper at some length.
The cricket ground referred to in the newspaper article was where the Greyhound Track would eventually be established, and where the NHS Supplies warehouse is currently located. Although used by the cricket club it was still owned by the Babbington Coal Co, of which the family of Charles Seely were proprietors. They eventually sold the estate to the Sheepbridge Iron & Coal Company in the 1930s, and they in turn finally sold the estate at auction in 1942, including the cricket ground, which sold for £950.
PHOTO: Somercotes Cricket Club, 1935. The photo was taken at the Somercotes Cricket Ground [note the pavilion at top right]
A reference to SOMERCOTES CRICKET CLUB was made in the Derbyshire Courier as early as 16 June 1866, when they played an away match against Clay Cross. The article implies that the club had been in existence for some time prior to this date.
The club probably became the SOMERCOTES INSTITUTE CRICKET CLUB, named after the Institute and Workings Men’s Club in 1895, still under the auspices of Charles Seely. The same year they joined the newly formed Mid-Derbyshire Cricket League.
Over the years, several clubs may have been formed, including the SOMERCOTES & LEABROOKS CRICKET CLUB, although we are unsure if this is a separate entity to the SOMERCOTES CRICKET CLUB. By 1935, the club was playing in the Notts & Derbyshire Border league, that year finishing runners- up.
It is believed that SOMERCOTES CRICKET CLUB had left the cricket ground on Nottingham Road sometime before the outbreak of the Second World War, and the land was converted some years later into the Greyhound Track and football pitch, which opened in 1954, still utilising the old cricket pavilion.
Somercotes could boast several top flight professional cricketers, including George Beet, George Beet Junior, Charles Root and Dennis Smith, to name a few. Their biographies are listed below:
Born 24 April 1886 in Somercotes, George Beet’s first-class cricketing career began in 1910, when he played for Derbyshire against Kent. He played for Derbyshire between 1910 and 1925 and for the MCC in 1920. In his later career he umpired. He earned a regular place as a batsman until the outbreak of war in 1914, which interrupted his career. He returned to cricket in 1919 as Derbyshire’s regular wicket keeper. He played his last match for Derbyshire in 1925.
George was a right-handed batsman and played 88 innings in 48 first class matches. He kept wicket in about half of his matches and took 62 catches and 11 wickets by stumping. In his later life he spent several winters in South Africa, and achieved his ambition of umpiring a Test Match in 1946, shortly before his death.
He died in Somercotes on 13 December 1946, at the age of 60.
GEORGE BEET JUNIOR
George was born at Somercotes on 30 May 1904. He was the son of George Beet Snr, also a cricketer for Derbyshire.
George, a right-handed batsman, played first class cricket for Derbyshire in 1928 and in 1932 and for Marylebone Cricket Club in 1928 and between 1933 and 1938. He made his first-class debut appearance for Derbyshire in the 1928 season when he acted as a stand-in wicket-keeper against Kent and achieved three catches and a stumping. He also kept wicket for MCC against Kent later in that season. He played four matches for Derbyshire in 1932, and once for the Derbyshire Second XI in 1933. George continued playing for the MCC in first-class and other games. He played one first class match in 1933, two in 1934, one in 1936 and one in 1938. He kept wicket in all except for one of the matches in 1934.
He died in Somercotes on 21 August 1949 at the relatively young age of 45 years.
Born on 28 March 1868 in Somercotes, William Prince was the son of Thomas and Hannah Prince. By the census of 1881, the family had moved to Skegby but as a cricketer William played one first-class match for Derbyshire in 1898. He was a right arm medium-fast bowler.
In later life, William lived at New Ollerton, where he died on 1 June 1948.
William Rigley was born at Eastwood, Nottinghamshire on 24 March 1852. Although born in Eastwood, his father moved to Somercotes to work as a blacksmith. William was also a blacksmith by trade.
He was a right-handed batsman and right arm medium pace bowler who played for Derbyshire between 1873 and 1882, playing 66 matches.
He died on 15 April 1897 at the age of 45.
CHARLES FREDERICK (Fred) ROOT
Charles was born at Somercotes on 16 April 1890. He played for England, Derbyshire and Worcestershire. He was a right handed batsman and right arm fast/medium paced bowler.
In later life he was also an umpire
Charles, who died in the Royal Worcestershire Hospital, Wolverhampton, on 20 January 1954 aged 63, was celebrated for being a leading exponent of leg-theory bowling. Fred Root, as he was always known, served for a time on the Leicestershire ground staff before commencing his first class career with the county of his birth in 1910. After five seasons of moderate success as an orthodox bowler came the First World War, which temporarily interrupted his cricketing career. In 1921, Root joined Worcestershire and with his new county he changed his style, bowling fast medium on the leg stump with five fieldsmen stationed on the leg-side close to the batsman. So successful did these tactics prove that from 1923 onwards he took over 100 wickets in nine seasons, eight times heading the county averages.
His best year was 1925 when with, 219 victims, averaging 17.21, he set up a record for a Worcestershire bowler. The achievement earned him a special testimonial fund in the county. In 1926, for North of England at Edgbaston, he startled the cricket world by dismissing seven of H. L. Collin’s Australian team in an innings of 42 runs. This gained him a place in the England team in several test matches. Rain ruined the first, at Nottingham, but in the other two Root bowled well without repeating his earlier devastating form. In the fourth test at Old Trafford, he gained three figures: 52 overs, 84 runs, 4 wickets. Three times in his career Root took nine wickets in an innings; for 23 runs against Lancashire in 1932, for 40 runs against Essex in 1924, both at Worcester, and for 81 against Kent at Tunbridge Wells in 1930, when he disposed of three batsmen in four balls. He was also a batsman of no mean ability and in 1928 completed the cricketer’s double, scoring 1044 runs and taking 118 wickets. Altogether before his retirement from first-class cricket in 1933 he took 1,152 wickets for 21.11 runs each, scored 8,089 runs, average 15.37 and held 219 catches.
Afterwards he played in Lancashire League Cricket, acted as coach to Leicestershire and as a cricket correspondent of a national newspaper. In 1937 he wrote a book, ‘A Cricket Pro’s Lot’, in which he expressed admirably the point of view of the professional player.
Denis was born in Somercotes, Derbyshire on 24 January 1907. He made his debut for Derbyshire in June 1927 against Somerset, when he was out for a duck in the only innings he played but was given a chance to bowl 10 balls. A tall left-handed opening batsman who played his strokes, Smith was the mainstay of Derbyshire’s batting line up during the 1930’s, the most successful period in the county’s history. Derbyshire came second in the Championship in 1935 and won it in 1936.
An Ogden's Cigarette Card depicting Denis Smith
Smith played two Test matches against the South Africans in 1935. He played regularly for Derbyshire until 1951, acting as wicket-keeper in the immediate post-war period. He later became county coach. His career aggregate of runs and his 30 centuries for the county were both Derbyshire records until beaten by Kim Barnett in the 1990’s.
Smith was a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1936. He died in Derby on 12 September 1979 at the age of 72.
Albert Steeples was born on 28 July 1870 at Somercotes. He was the son of John Steeples, a coal miner. He made his one and only first-class appearance for Derbyshire in the 1899 season in May against Surrey.
Albert married Ellen Roughton, daughter of John Roughton and Hannah Carlin on 9 July 1892.
He died on 14 August 1945.
Richard Steeples was born in Somercotes on 30 April 1873. He was the son of John Steeples, a coal miner [and the brother of Albert]. He enjoyed a brief first-class career playing three matches at county level for Derbyshire during the 1897 season. He made his debut against Yorkshire, a game in which he took three wickets (Derbyshire sadly lost the game). He was a right arm medium-fast bowler.
Richard went on to play two further first-class games, one against Nottinghamshire, when he took four wickets. He played on a fairly regular basis for Monmouthshire in the Minor Counties League between 1897 and 1908.
He died at Somercotes on 2 August 1946. His brother, Albert also played one game for Derbyshire.
3. SOMERCOTES & BIRCHWOOD CYCLING CLUBS
It is not known when the Somercotes Cycling Club was formed, but a short report in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph published on 7 November 1902 is the earliest reference so far found. The report reads: “SOMERCOTES CYCLING CLUB. The annual supper was held at the Rifle Volunteer Inn, about 50 members and friends being present. Councillor George Beastall (president the club) occupied the chair. The usual toasts were honoured, and “Success to the Club" was submitted by the chairman. The secretary, Mr J Hammond, gave a satisfactory report, showing a balance in hand of £3, with badges value £2. The running membership was 22. Songs, etc., were afterwards indulged in, a most enjoyable evening being spent.”
All of the documented evidence relating to the Somercotes Cycle Club is contained in a few newspaper articles and photographs that all date from around the 1930’s, which is when the Club must have been at its most active. The title of the club in all of the reports is the “Lower Somercotes Cycle Club”. The Ripley & Heanor News dated 15 June 1934 reported: “LOWER SOMERCOTES CYCLING CLUB - Lower Somercotes Cycling Club had a most delightful run on Sunday last to Rudyard Lake via Belper, Ashbourne, and Leek, and back home through Buxton. The first stop was Hayfield, where the club had dinner. Tea was partaken of at Rudyard, after which everyone made the most of their short stay. Next Sunday will be a mystery run, starting from Lower Somercotes at 9.30.”
There must have been many such cycle rides during the Clubs existence. Below are transcribed some of the reports from the newspapers:
Ripley & Heanor News, 29 June 1934: “SOMERCOTES LOWER CYCLING CLUB. On Sunday 38 members of the Lower Somercotes Cycling Club set out for Alton Towers, under very bad conditions. On one occasion they had to pull up for half-an-hour, after which they continued to Cromford, Via Gellia, Ashbourne and their destination, where dinner and tea were partaken of. The homeward journey was through Ashbourne, Belper, Ambergate and home. Next Sunday’s run will be an invitation to John Bull Works for members only”
Ripley & Heanor News, 20 July 1934: “LOWER SOMERCOTES CLUB. On Saturday last several members of the Lower Somercotes Cycling Club visited Beeston, while another section decorated a tandem in the club's colours and entered it in the Wingfield carnival as Daisy Bell, 1934, and secured second prize. On Sunday the club paid a visit to Farndon Ferry, having a record turn out of 62 members in all. Their direction was via Selston, Linby, Oxton, and Southwell for dinner, then on to Newark and Farndon, where several enjoyed bathing in the river while others took to boating. At 4 o'clock a cup of tea was greatly enjoyed. After a short rest the party started for home, the journey being to Saxon Dale, Underwood, and home.”
Ripley & Heanor News, 24 August 1934: “LOWER SOMERCOTES CLUB. The Lower Somercotes Cycling Club had a most delightful mystery run last Sunday under the leadership of the captain. The route was via Derby, Borrowash, and Stapleford, where dinner was partaken of. After viewing the Hemlock Stone, the party moved on to Beeston to enjoy boating on the River Trent. Tea was greatly enjoyed and the homeward journey was made via Nottingham and Moorgreen. Next Sunday's run is to Trent Hills, leader, Mr, S. Whitehead. Meet Lower Somercotes at 9 a.m.”
PHOTO: Members of the Lower Somercotes Cycling Club c.1935
Ripley & Heanor News, 25 January 1935: “LOWER SOMERCOTES CYCLING CLUB - Leaving Somercotes Market Place last Sunday, the familiar route through Pentrich and Ambergate to Matlock was taken, thence to Darley Dale, Rowsley and Bakewell. A steady walk up the hill to the village of Taddington, and a sharp left turn, gave everyone a glimpse of the wonderful wintery scenes of Derbyshire's hills and dales. Dinner was partaken of at Monyash. Resuming, the run was continued on to the main Ashbourne-Buxton road, passing Newhaven on to Youlgrave, Alport and Winster for tea. The homeward journey was via Wensley, Darley Dale and the Matlocks.”
The Ripley & Heanor News also reported on a wedding between two members of the Club. In their edition published on 11 September 1936 they reported that “…Members of Lower Somercotes Cycling Club formed an archway of cycle wheels outside Somercotes Parish Church on Saturday, when two fellow-members, Mr. Jack Bown and Miss Janet Mary Dakin, were married. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Bown of Oakerthorpe, and the late Mr. W. Bown. and the bride’s parents are Mr. and Mrs. S E. Dakin, 4, Bramley Street. Lower Somercotes. The bridegroom is captain of the Lower Somercotes Cycling Club, and his bride is a member of the committee. The Rev R E. Birtwistle (vicar) conducted the ceremony…”
Newspaper article peter out after 1936, but this does not mean that the club disbanded. We believe that it continued for many years afterwards, certainly up till the outbreak of war in September 1939.
Birchwood also had a cycling club. It was formed in 1933 and as with the Lower Somercotes Club, newspaper articles suggest that it was very active in the mid-1930’s. Several articles are transcribed below:
Ripley & Heanor News, 5 October 1934: “BIRCHWOOD C.C. VISIT LOUGHBOROUGH - Birchwood Cycling Club commemorated its first anniversary by visiting Loughborough last Sunday, riding by way of Swanwick, Ripley, Kilburn, Derby, Alvaston and Shardlow. Dinner was partaken of at Kegworth. At Loughborough a short stay was enjoyed in Queen's Park, before continuing on the Nottingham Road, through Hoton and Costock, to Bunny, where tea was enjoyed in an old-time inn. After a short glimpse of the village, a start for home was made via Bradlow, Ruddington, West Bridgford, Nottingham, Cinderhill, Moorgreen, New Selston and Pye Bridge. Next Sunday's fixture is to Bakewell and Baslow. Meet at Lower Birchwood, 9.15 a.m. Leader, Mr. C. Wells. Start 9.30 prompt. Members are requested to bring their lamps”
Ripley & Heanor News, 2 November 1934: “BIRCHWOOD CYCLING CLUB - Under the leadership of Mr. Harold Dean, Birchwood Cycling Club visited Dovedale last Sunday, riding by way of Sleetmoor, Swanwick, Pentrich, Buckland Hollow, Ambergate, WhatstandwelL to Cromford, where a short rest was enjoyed by all. Continuing through Bonsall up Via Gellia, Middleton, Tissington Park, and Tissington, the party reached Thorpe Cloud for dinner. Following an enjoyable meal, the members walked through the Dale and returned for tea. The homeward journey was by way of the outward route with several pauses for shelter. A few mishaps on the Via Gellia road again delayed the club, but in spite of all it was a day of pleasure. On Sunday next there will be a general meeting at 10 a.m., after which the club will go an afternoon ride. Arrangements will be made at the meeting”.
The Birchwood Cycling Club did not limit themselves just to cycling. Their numbers were sufficient to field a football team and on 16 March 1935 they played a match with Birchwood Villa Reserves, losing 6-2. The Ripley & Heanor News, published the following Friday, 22 March stated that “…the score was by no means indicative of the run of play as the cyclists were equally as good as their opponents…”
By mid-1937 the Cycling Club were also arranging camping weekends, and in reports referring to the 1938 season, the Ripley & Heanor News used the title “Birchwood Cycling and Camping Club”. The last article found was printed in the Ripley & Heanor News on 23 August 1940, when Lewis Octavius Woodley married Miss Eliza Ann Hardy at Selston. Lewis Woodley was the assistant secretary of the cycling club at the time.