The Three Horse Shoes is the only public house in Leabrooks and has always been a central part of the community over the last 100 years or so, as shown in many early photographs.
At some point in the past the Three Horse Shoes was extended with a single storey extension to the front. The photograph above shows the original building, prior to the extension, and is dated c.1920.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to confirm any date for the Three Horse Shoes. Although beer house retailers are mentioned in the relevant trade directories, the Three Horse Shoes is not specifically named.
It is mentioned as the “Horse Shoes” in an article published in the Sheffield Independent newspaper on 19 March 1880, when the landlord hosted a Licensed Victuallers’ Association meeting. A further newspaper report published in the Derbyshire Courier on 25 May 1889 refers to a Coroner’s Inquest held on the premises relating to the death of a child. It was common to hold Inquests in public houses, close to where the death occurred.
It is almost certain that the building of the Three Horse Shoes pre-dates these newspaper articles by some time.