The Royal Tiger was situated on Nottingham Road, Somercotes, close to the junction with the High Street. It was the earliest Inn that was built on Somercotes Common.
First mention of the Royal Tiger is probably in Pigot’s Directory of 1849 when it lists the inn-keeper as John Brough. Various inn-keepers have been recorded:
A Nonconformist Sunday School was held for some time in the Royal Tiger's clubroom before moving to the Salem Chapel at Somercotes.
The architecture of the current building is not in keeping with that expected of the mid 1800s, and it is believed that the Royal Tiger in the photograph on this page is not the original structure. It is understood that the original Royal Tiger stood further back from the road, and had steps leading up to the entrance. A map of Somercotes from 1921 suggests that this is the case and implies that the current building originates from shortly after this date. It is not known how the “Royal Tiger” came to be named, but the title is unusual with the “Royal” prefix.
A downturn in the industry generally during the early 2000s took its toll on many public houses. The Royal Tiger was no exception, and it finally closed its doors during 2013. Unusually, it was not demolished for future redevelopment, but converted into two residential apartments and a retail unit.