The Crown Inn is situated on Sleetmoor Lane. The architecture is in keeping with the surrounding houses but contrary to its outside appearance it has a large interior with a deceptively large beer garden to the rear.
The first mention of the Crown Inn noted was in the A&B Journal dated 30 November 1894, when the landlord, one James Bursnell, was find £3.11s for gaming, which was illegal at the time. This case appeared before the “Brewster Sessions”, essentially courts which sat to deal with matters arising from the licenced trade. The report also appeared in several local newspapers.
Less than a year later, in 1895, Kelly’s Directory lists the Crown Inn, and its landlord John Clarke. The 1912 edition shows the proprietor as John Charles Salmon.
By 1925 there had been further changes in tenancy, and Kelly’s Directory for that year listed a George Bradley as the landlord. In the 1970s the tenancy was taken over by Arthur and Bessie Niven, who ran a popular public house for many years until Arthur’s death. Bessie Niven’s maiden name was Bradley, and her father was named George. Whether or not this is one and the same George Bradley isn’t currently known.
The Crown Inn is part of the Marston’s Brewery group and is still a popular local venue.
Some of the landlords that have been recorded in Trade Directories and other documents: