It would certainly be true to say that a person living in Somercotes one hundred years ago would today recognise very little of the village. Although many of the streets are unchanged, and houses such as those on Seely Terrace still remain, much of the infrastructure that existed has long since gone.
The shopkeepers, grocers, butchers etc. that numbered over 80 in 1941 have nearly all disappeared, and many of the retail premises have been converted into residential dwellings. Public Houses too have suffered a decline, as they have throughout the country. Between 2000 and 2016 at least five have closed their doors for good.
Today, the civil parish of Somercotes sits within the parliamentary district of Amber Valley, and includes parts of Leabrooks and Pye Bridge. Recently, the parish has become increasingly urbanised, with the creation of several industrial and trading estates replacing the former heavy industries of mining and iron making. Although much of the agricultural land has been swallowed by industry over the years, there is still some small areas of farming carried out on the northern and western areas of the parish. A small but significant nature reserve also exists at Pennytown Ponds, which also keeps alive the name of a small hamlet which disappeared in the 1970s under the Cotes Park Industrial Estate. At the national census taken in 2001, the population of the parliamentary ward of Somercotes was recorded as 5.745, and in 2011 as 6,255, an increase of almost 9% in ten years.
PHOTO: A modern photograph of Nottingham Road, Somercotes, 2012
There is no doubt that Somercotes will continue to change in the future, as it adapts to the wider economic and political environment. If you have any information on the recent history of the parish, please let us know.
Today's Present is Tomorrow's Past